The Museum’s intention has been to construct a building appropriate for our time. The East Building achieves an architectural character that both stands on its own and complements the Main Building, while taking advantage of the Museum’s spectacular site in Forest Park.
Practical goals have focused on creating new gallery space for the collection, expanding and improving visitor amenities, and enhancing the shortcomings in our 125 year old Main Building to improve operations.
The East Building is an addition to the east and south of the original 1904 building. It has a dark, polished concrete façade incorporating Missouri river aggregates. New galleries and public spaces feature skylights and a number of floor-to-ceiling windows to invite and provide views from both inside and outside.
The Museum was awarded Gold LEED Status by the U. S. Green Building Council. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and recognizes responsible design and construction practices.