Skip to main content

Amphora with Herakles and Apollo

Artist
attributed to the Antimenes Painter, active 530–510 BC
Artist Culture
Attic Greek
Period
Archaic period, c.600–480 BC
Date
530–510 BC
Material
Black-figure ceramic
Associated with
Athens, Attica, Greece, Europe
Classification
Ceramics, containers
Current Location
On View, Gallery 259
Dimensions
15 1/4 x 10 1/2 in. (38.7 x 26.7 cm)
Credit Line
Museum Purchase
Rights
Public Domain
Object Number
39:1921
NOTES
The scene on this vase shows an argument between siblings: the mortal hero Herakles and his divine half-brother Apollo. Enraged that Apollo’s priestess at the sanctuary of Delphi would not provide him with an answer to his question, Herakles tries to steal the sacred tripod. Here we see the brothers struggling to hold on to the tripod. Each is flanked by a female supporter: at left Artemis accompanies her twin brother Apollo, and Athena, patron and protector of Herakles, is shown at right. These figures are identifiable by a series of attributes or accessories. Herakles has his wooden club and lion skin, Apollo has his quiver of arrows, and Athena has her helmet. White paint was used to distinguish the female characters.
- 1921
Dr. George B. Leighton, New York, NY, USA [1]

1921 -
Saint Louis Art Museum, purchased from Dr. George B. Leighton [2]


Notes:
[1] Adolf Furtwangler saw the vase on a trip to St. Louis in 1904, and published a description of it in 1905 [Furtwangler, A. "Antiken in den Museen von Amerika." Munich, 1905, p. 243, no. 5]. A 1922 article states that the amphora "has been in the [City Art] Museum a long time, but has only been recently acquired by purchase." The article confirms that Furtwangler saw the vase in St. Louis in 1904 where it was apparently displayed in the World's Fair and then loaned to the City Art Museum until its acquisition in 1921 [Davis, Charles Percy. "Greek Painted Vases." City Art Museum Bulletin (1922) p.1-15].

[2] Bill of sale dated July 11, 1921 [SLAM document files]. Minutes of the Administrative Board of Control of the City Art Museum, July 8, 1921.
Scroll back to top