In a lifelike rendering, this large panel portrays a sacra conversazione (holy conversation) where saints surround the Madonna and Child in a unified pictorial space. Piero di Cosimo’s approach is far removed from the compartmentalized divisions in Lorenzo di Nicolo’s altarpiece elsewhere in this gallery. Here, Saint Peter presents the kneeling Saint Dominic (left) while Saint John the Baptist announces Christ’s ministry, and Saint Nicholas kneels in devotion (right). The three smaller panels, called a predella, depict scenes from the lives of Saints Dominic, John, and Nicholas. The Pugliese coat of arms adorns the frame, identifying the Florentine family who commissioned the work for its private chapel.
 This sale is known as the Lincoln sale because Pelham-Clinton-Hope, who inherited the Earldom of Lincoln, had not yet succeeded the Dukedom of Newcastle [Getty Provenance Index; SLAM document files]. The auction catalog from the Getty Research Institute (see note ) is annotated with "Bottenweisser" as the buyer. According to the Getty Provenance of Paintings, Paul Bottenwieser was a Berlin art dealer whose address was at Bellevuestrasse 5.
 According to the Getty Provenance of Paintings database, Mercuria A.G. sold half their shares to Knoedler & Co., which accounts for the joint ownership of this object [printout, SLAM document files]. The Getty gives Knoedler's stock number as A1968.
 Minutes of the Administrative Board of Control of the City Art Museum, January 4, 1940.