- Oil on canvas mounted on board
- Saint Ives, Cornwall, Northern Europe, England, Europe
- Current Location
- On View, Gallery 211
- 21 1/2 x 25 5/8 in. (54.6 x 65.1 cm)
framed: 24 x 28 1/4 x 2 in. (61 x 71.8 x 5.1 cm)
- Credit Line
- Gift of Joseph Pulitzer Jr.
- © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York, NY / DACS, London
- Object Number
Overlaid planes of bright color evoke the sea, sand, and brilliant light of the coast in Cornwall, England. This landscape was an important retreat for Ben Nicholson throughout his life. The same year in which Nicholson painted St. Ives Cornwall, Composition, he visited the studio of Piet Mondrian, where he was deeply affected by the older artist’s careful arrangement of strict, geometric forms. This work highlights the nature-inspired and lyrical elements which were distinctive to Nicholson’s abstract compositions.